July is National Hot Dog Month. The boys of summer are in full swing, and all the major ballparks have something unique to offer in the way of the dogs. Everyone has their favorites; so for our list, we chose 10 of the most unusual hot dogs that we would like to try. Too bad we can’t visit all the ball parks to give them a taste test.
- Boston Red Sox: Always a fan favorite, the Fenway Frank is a special mix of spices and meats boiled, then lightly grilled, and served on a split top hot dog roll. You can add onions and mustard or not, but most folks forgo the condiments. This is the most traditional and likely the most delicious.
- Chicago Cubs: The traditional dog is the way to go here. It is a Vienna beef dog grilled with yellow mustard, neon relish, diced onion, sport peppers, tomato wedge, and celery salt – served on a poppy seed bun.
- Arizona Diamond Backs: The Asada Dog debuts this season. It is an 18-inch dog in a telera hot dog bun with fries, queso blanco, carne asada, pico de gallo, and guacamole. Ole to the Asada!
- Cleveland Indians: The Thomenator Dog is a one-third pound dog topped with sauerkraut, onions, and pierogis. You read it right. Pierogis.
- Baltimore Orioles: The most decadent of the dogs by far is the Crab Mac and Cheese Dog piled high with Maryland crab meat.
- Los Angeles Dodgers: The Dodger Dog, of course, is a foot-long, pork hot dog grilled or steamed, placed in a steamed bun, and served with mustard and relish.
- New York Yankees: Only Nathan’s Famous Natural Casing Dogs for this ball park. Topped with red onions in sauce and sauerkraut.
- Tampa Bay Rays: The Bacon Fried Doggy is the hot dog to have in this park. It’s a deep-fried bacon-wrapped dog topped with caramelized onions.
- Texas Rangers: Well like all good vended food in Texas, they serve up this dog on a stick. The Dilly Dog is a dill pickle that has been hollowed out, stuffed with an angus beef jumbo dog, then battered and fried like a corn dog.
- Pittsburg Pirates: Not sure if this is one I really want to try, but I guess it fits a sweet and savory mood. This is a footlong dog topped with mac and cheese, Cracker Jacks, and jalapeño peppers. It is served on a flatbread bun.
If you get the chance to catch a game, throw caution to the wind and try out one of these interesting concoctions!